Is your sales team and sales process creating value for your prospect or destroying value for your business?
This is an important question that you should know the answer to.
Here are a few more questions for you:
- Where in your sales or business process are you creating value for your customers?
- On what basis are you creating value where your competitors are not?
- How sustainable is this?
- Where does the strategic competitive advantage come from in your organisation?
- What are your positive differentiators?
I ask these questions to every Company Board I work with and the depth and breadth of answers is vast.
Not every organisation is able to answer these questions fully or even commit their differentiator to words….and that I can understand, especially when the bulk of their business is repeat business, or they are in highly standardised industries.
However, when organisations are focussing on business growth, new customer acquisition, building solid sales pipelines, increasing turnover and profit, then having a differentiator and being able to communicate that differentiator is vital (this differentiator can take many forms – which we will go into at a later date)
In highly competitive or commoditised environments it may be the case that the only strategic competitive advantage the business has is the sales team, or some element of differentiation that has to be built into the sales function.
Building a compelling differentiator in to the sales team or the sales process could be categorised under the following headings:
- How the sales team sell
- How the product is sold
- The stages of engagement in the sales process
- How they present themselves and your organisation
- The pricing models employed
- How the business proposition is structured
- The terms offered
- The sales process itself
- The degree of interaction with the customer
- The type of interaction with the customer
- The promised offered to the customer
- After sales
There are many other headings that could be listed, but you get the message.
The question is – is your sales team and your sales process helping you to create value and giving you a positive competitive advantage with your prospects?
Alternatively, are you using pricing and discounts, advantageous credit terms as the only differentiators? Are your sales teams and sales processes destroying value?
Differentiating your business positively and profitably can be simple and easy to implement,to find out more please contact us for a confidential chat, or attend one of our sales training courses designed to address the issues above and fast track your sales performance.
Carol Griffiths – Director and Lead Consultant
Morton Kyle Limited
0779 002 1885